Sunday, March 24, 2013

LESBIAN BOOK#4 Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins


First of all, let me begin by saying Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins is not a lesbian novel, rather it is a story about cowgirls and a lot of whoop de yee huh. It does, however, brush against the bosoms of lesbianism, with explicitness that can make CRTs grow flat, so I shall indulge myself and accommodate this title among my lesbian books.


Second of all, to compensate whatever disappointment with what I just said, this novel was adapted into the comedy-drama-romance story that it is, through the talent and beauty of Uma Thurman as lead. Watch the 1993 movie trailer here.

Sissy and Dolores, horsing around.


Third, Heather Graham, nuff said.

So cute this womyn.

Now the book. Well, written in Tom Robbins' signature tone--wit, sarcasm and a deliberate collision of subtlety and explicitness, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues is an out there type of talk flipping the walk. With his consistent metaphors on love, life, government and technologies; reading Cowgirl style definitely brought out the arguments straight to the tip of my boring normal-sized thumbs.

This novel, which dealt with over-sized fingers and freeloading travelers, was fun, light and my kind of poetically confusing tact, perfect for woozy summer days.

Surely, this book has left me inspired to stretch moon beams to a night of cosmic yee huh.

Why? Because love is the opposing thumb. It is the reason behind pebbles thrown to dance above quiet lakes. It is the doer of all saws, and the handler of every digging top. Remember what they said about a finger on a finger, when the fingers on battleground are thumbs of colliding characters.

PS. I was at National Book Store (Bestsellers) the other day, and they confirmed that the gay and lesbian titles are no longer carried and were put on sale for discontinuation. That news deeply saddened me because now it's a step more difficult to find lesbian literature to immerse in. Fortunately, gems such as this Tom Robbins book may be found in secondhand bookstores like Book Sale! I got my copy for only P30, that's less than a $!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Feel free to leave a comment as I do read all of them. If you wish to talk to me conversely, tweet me @tomboyplanet.